Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Rudd scores!

I've been following the story about Kevin Rudd going to Scores a few years ago. It's great. For one thing, it does kind of humanise him a bit, it shows he's not the evil dentist we all imagine him to be. I'm impressed and also a little horrified that he called his wife the next morning though.

But why is everyone calling Scores a 'strip club'? I started making this point at work but had to stop because people were concerned I was about to violate one of our HR policies in some way, but what I was saying was that it's a lapdance joint. The women don't strip, in the sense of getting all their clothes off. You can't do that in the US, and my understanding of these matters is that that's one of the things that Canada's for.

I went to Scores once, probably about 10 years ago. I went with my mate Jim, who was an old business school friend. It was February 13th, the night before Valentine's Day, and he suggested we go for a bit of a treat. I remember it as being a fairly depressing and tawdry setup (I'm waaay too sensitive). Jim and I got a lapdance from a grimly-determined blonde woman in her early 30s. At one point I made the mistake of looking into her eyes, and for a split-second we were wallowing in contempt and shame. (Actually, I doubt she felt anything. But like I said, I'm too sensitive for this world.)

Jim and i spilled out of Scores at about 1130, and he reminded me that it was Valentine's Day the next day. We both bought roses for our wives and bid each other goodbye. It was bitterly cold, snow and ice everywhere. I caught the train home to Connecticut and very cleverly (I thought) left the roses outside so she wouldn't find them, that way it'd be more of a surprise.

Next morning I was in a huge amount of trouble for staying out late (and I just said I'd been out for a drink) and, I suspect, for forgetting Valentine's Day, even though we'd agreed not to observe. And the roses? The lovely roses I was planning on producing with a flourish to make everything ok? They'd frozen solid on the back steps.

No comments: