Thursday, August 30, 2007

Owen who?

There were stories in the papers a couple of days ago that Owen Wilson (or as one of my colleagues asked, "Owen who?") had attempted suicide. Apparently in a very girly look-at-me sort of way. What really struck me was that later that day two of the top five most-viewed articles in the Sydney Morning Herald online were about Mr Wilson, and three of the top ten. What about dear old Melbourne, The Age? One of the top five, and one of the top ten. Conclusive proof - as if you actually need it - that Melbourne a much more refined city.

And speaking of the kind of rubbish that ends up in Sydney newspapers, there's a slim chance I'll be in the Sun-Herald on Sunday, in the social pages. Whahey!

5 comments:

T said...

gee whiz - suicide attempts are serious and to say he did it in a 'girlyish look at me way' is ... so wrong on so many level. And as fathers of daughters and, who knows, gay sons we need to accept the feminine even if it is not the way we ourselves are.

I have thought of suicide on a bad day and have an acquaintance who is a suicide survivor. It is very common in gay men.

and yes I don't know Owen whoever-he-is from jack shit. I don't think I have ever seen any of the movies he has been in but that does not mean I am indifferent to his current situation.

Anonymous said...

If you don't know who Owen Wilson is, you fall into one of two categories...

1. You are just pretending that you have never heard of him because you are just toooo cool for school, or

2. Actually, there is no number 2. You ARE just too cool for school. Why would you admit to having heard of someone that only appears in stupid American 'comedies'. God forbid if anyone ever thought you had laid eyes on an NW mag!!!

... and that is exactly why Sydney is soooo much better than Melbourne. We don't have to continually justify/prove ourselves. BORING :-)

Jx.

SleepingMan said...

I'm well aware who Owen Wilson is, and I don't think I claimed otherwise. It was one of my colleagues who said "Owen who?".

Anonymous said...

.. I was making reference to those that claim they've never heard of Owen Wilson.

SleepingMan said...

D'oh! Yes, I mis-read. Sorry, feeling a bit sensitive.