Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It's scientific!

The gym I go to (with almost manic determination at the moment) produces a monthly magazine. I've never read it, but it's there. It has the usual exercise, dieting and lifestyle tips (red wine - a glass a day can be good for you! 10 ways to get that ski-ready body etc.). I only know because they play ads for it over the video setup every, I'd guess 45 minutes, so on a decent visit I'd have listened to it a couple of times.

As part of the spiel they say "and all our usual features, including out new astrology section". Now I really don't care that they have an astrology section in the magazine as I'd probably never read it, but I don't like having to hear about a couple of times ever workout. Plus, in a more general sense, it detracts from whatever authority the thing has anyway - I mean, if I'm reading an article about how some study says that red wine's good for me, I'm a little uneasy with it being in a publication that also carries horoscope. Is it evidence-based research or just something someone made up?(This also explains my qualms about the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. How much can you trust a paper that, in the same breath as telling you about unrest in government ranks over industrial relations reforms, also tells you that people born between May 20 and June 20 are all going to have a good day but should be careful about making major decisions?)

The PR woman wrote back to me saying "there is a science behind astrology". So that settles it then. I probably should write back asking for evidence, but she probably has better things to do that enter into pointless email correspondence with grumpy middle-aged men.

No comments: