Thursday, November 22, 2007

You get it in a kit?

I was at the gym at lunch (again), doing the body-is-a-temple thing. Today it was treadmill, and the only consolation with that is that I get to watch TV while I'm running. I was a bit late to catch much of Dr Phil, so I had to flip between Oprah and the PM's address to the National Press Club. The PM's a sorry figure now, he seems to know he's beat. I saw him yesterday, funnily enough, as I was walking down Philip St, he drove past in a car full of security guys. Earlier that day I'd seen Costello crossing the street, surrounded by journalists and trying to look like he was enjoying himself. For those who care, I have a substantial bet on Costello retaining Higgins, and if he wins, I get enough tax-free money to buy a lovely dinner for 2 at, say, Toko a couple of times. So I do care.

Anyway, as I was flicking between the two, something on another screen caught my eye. SBS, I think. It was an ad (when did they get ads on SBS? I'm so old I can remember when SBS was set up. It was there as a shining beacon of multicultural diversity. Or as a way of getting a handful of extra votes for the Fraser Goverment from the New Australian community, take your pick).

The ad said, in very big green letters "FREE WILL KIT". I had to read it a couple of times to understand what it meant, and to realise that there wasn't some achingly profound existential thing behind it.

No comments: