Saturday, September 1, 2007

Furniture

I had a friend up to visit a while ago and she said I lived like a student. I like the place I live in because it's quite sunny and airy, and there's noone above me, but I guess it is ever so slightly delapidated, and it's certainly true that I don't have much stuff.

This time last year, all I had was a tennis racquet, a guitar and a computer and some clothes and books. I've added a bit since then: a bed, then about 6 months later a couch. A piano, a couple of chairs (one of which was used to sit the tv on, and the tv is pretty forlorn, cost me $20 and the color balance is all shot. My younger son it's the worst tv he's ever seen). I found a coffee table in the lobby of my building that appeared to be being thrown out, so I souvenired it.

Next year when my financial situation gets a bit clearer I'll buy some real stuff but for the time being this will do. For the first couple of months it was fun living like this ('keeping it real' and all that stuff) but the novelty's worn off a bit now. I used to kid myself that it looked all noble and ascetic, but it's just sheer laziness.

No comments: