Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Bulgogi

I took my 5yo twin daughters (yes, I have many children) out for dinner tonight, to a korean place we know in Carnegie. "Korean, for 5 year-olds?", I hear you ask. It's not that mysterious. They spent the first few years of their charmed little lives in London and that can be a tough city to eat in. If you have a really huge amount of money you can eat well, but there aren't a lot decent places for normal people to go.

We lived in southwest London, and not too far from us was a large Korean neighborhood. There was one restaurant, Ga-Chi, which was especially good. We used to take the kids there all the time, so the girls have been eating korean food since they were not much more than babies. It's run by a family, and the grandmother, a very dignified korean woman who didn't really speak english used to come out and make a big fuss over the girls. We keep the tradition going, and it is a source of great pride to me that the two of them (and the others too) are very au fait with korean food. A major hightlight was last year, we were in a very unremarkable pub in queensland, about to order food and number 1 daughter (aged 4) asked "Daddy, do they have bulgogi here?".

I realise I've just done a "kids say the darndest things" post. Aaaargh. I was going to take a picture of the titanium screw in my jaw and post it but it just looked too weird.

No comments: