Friday, December 14, 2007

Drinks

There was a color piece in the Australian on the weekend about 'going out' in Australia, which of course meant Sydney because that's where all the journalists live.

I read it with some interest and something caught my eye. There were two young women, one in Hugo's who said “It’s not really a thing to pay for drinks...it’s different, being a girl”. And another who said "I don’t use money, I literally brought $10 with me tonight. If you’re good-looking, people will buy you anything.”

I didn't take much notice at the time, but something about this has been nagging at me all week, and I've been trying to work out what. Some idealogical unease? Reflected shame? Moral queasiness? Finally, today, I nailed it. It's something very old-fashioned: it's jealousy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. I mustn't be good looking enough.....