Saturday, June 30, 2007

Am I a latent fascist?

As a teenager I thought of myself of a rebel, but then when I met kids who really were rebels I realised how futile and ultimately cowardly my attempts at rebellion were. I was, for example, the only child in the history of my school to have been caned for 'Persistent Failure to Complete Assigned Work'. As opposed to burning down the canteen or something that actually took imagination and daring - or even just action, as opposed to sullen passivity. I was, I realised, just a good kid who desperately wanted to be a bad kid. And lazy to boot.

Self-knowledge is a good thing; I know that I sympathise with rebels, I like anti-authoritarian gestures, but I know that in my heart of hearts I'm not a man who's ever going to lie down in front of a tank. So far so good.

But I now have a worrying trait. When I fly, I find myself seething with anger when people don't obey instructions. They say 'in preparation for takeoff, please ensure you seat is fully upright and your tray folded up and locked', and if people don't do that I get very agitated. I love it when they come down the plane aisles as it's taxiiing out and they tick people off. 'Please ensure all electronic equipment is turned off, including mobile phones'; the guy in the seat behind me is still talking on his and I feel my blood pressure rise and I hope they catch him.

I was on a Virgin Blue flight on Friday, and one of the interesting differences between DJ and Qf is that on DJ flights they say you can't switch on your mobile until you're in the terminal, because the plane gets refueled. Now I know that that's a ridiculous reason for not using a phone, but I doubt anyone else on DJ892 does. So as soon as the plane lands, you hear phones being turned on. Apparently the implied threat of the plane being turned in to a fireball - however erroneous - isn't enough to dissuade people.

One flight I was on, as we were taxiiing in, and the cabin crew had given the usual "please stay in your seat with your seatbelt fastened until the plane has come to a complete stop and the captain has switched off the seatbelt sign" announcement, first one, and then a half dozen passengers got out of their seats to start rummaging around in the overhead lockers, as often happens. The cabin crew jumped out of their litte folding seats and raced down the aisle to reprimand the bad passengers in no uncertain terms. I felt like standing up and cheering (well, remaining seated and cheering, more like it). I wanted them strung up, tarred and feathered.

I know part of this is disgust at the amateurishness of some travelers (no, you won't get out quicker by doing that..) but it worries me that I get so worked up about it. Am I a closet fascist? Do I really love authority? I certainly take an unhealthy pleasure in filling out forms.

No comments: