Thursday, June 14, 2007

Nationality, and faux-bimbos

During the summer I found myself in the coffee place downstairs from my work, watching the cricket on tv while waiting for my latte. I was joined by a colleague. We watched the tv for a couple of minutes without speaking (do women do this? I don't think so) then he turned and said to me "you blokes are taking a bit of a hammering". (England were, as you'd expect, copping a shellacking.)

I was shocked and dismayed, as you can imagine. It took me a while to realise what he meant. But when I finally picked myself up off the floor, I said with all the dignity and hauteur I could muster "I'm more Australian than you, mate. I was born in f&*cking Wonthaggi".

On a related note, someone once asked me if it was my first time in Australia. Arrgh. But at least that time they thought I was an American.

Faux-bimbos have dried up. I got a couple of adds but I've waited too long to write them up so they've been deleted. And they sounded so real too!

No comments: