Monday, January 7, 2008

Whom

I was out in the wilds of suburban Melbourne today when I saw this - Warrigal Road, near High Street. On the one hand, it's technically correct and it does gladden my inner grammar nazi when I see that someone actually cares. But on the other hand, I really don't have objection to ending a sentence with a preposition, so I'm happier with "Who shall we go to?".

And 'whom' is always a bit of a minefield. If you err on the side of omission and use 'who' when you should use 'whom' I don't think most people notice (I might), and even if they do, I doubt many would care (I wouldn't). So leaving whom out altogether doesn't have any real downside.

But if you do use whom, there's a risk you'll use it incorrectly and you'll end up sounding like a complete idiot. Whenever I hear the word whom I can't resist parsing the sentence to see if it's wrong. And there's a delicious pleasure in catching someone out - I do usually resist the urge to tell people.

No comments: