Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Waste

I was at the gym yesterday doing a spin class (which, incidentally come in two flavors: 'RPM' and 'cycle'. They're indistinguishable). At the start we had the usual questions about whether anyone was new to spin, was anyone recovering from injury etc. Then we had to check we had our bikes set up properly. She then gave us a few tips on technique. One of these was that you shouldn't end up with your upper body swaying from side to side, she said this was because it 'wastes energy'.

At the time this seemed reasonable. But when I thought about it later it occurred to me that the whole point of a spin class is to waste energy. In fact the more energy you waste the better off you are. Having said, I'm usually semi-comatoase at the end of one of those classes anyway so I don't feel a compelling need to ramp it up.

3 comments:

T said...

so how do you fit in Yoga as well as Spin classes ??

SleepingMan said...

Easy! And I manage to do tennis, piano as well.

Anonymous said...

IS that all? Yoga, spin, tennis and piano. I'm sure you had another hobby. I just can't remember what it was at the moment. Not guitar, no. Um. It'll come to me.