Monday, October 22, 2007

new iPod

I had a lucky break today, my old ipod mini finally gave up! A lot of people have never even seen an iPod mini so I felt like I was carrying around something that was steam-powered, but it's served me very well over the last 3 or so years. I was listening to it this morning at the station when I ran into someone I know (avid readers - are there any? - will remember my 4-cocktail bender with 4 women a week or so ago). I couldn't resist showing her that the very song I was listening to was, in fact, by me.

Anyway, just after lunch it decided to stop working. So I immediately went to the shop to buy a new one. It's a lovely blue Ipod nano, pretty much the same blue as my old mini. Back then I got matching his'n'hers, my wife's (I was married then) was pink. I sometimes used to sneak stuff onto her ipod to see if she reacted. I put Anthony and the Johnsons' "Fistful of love" on it, and after about a month she asked me if there was some message behind me doing that. I also gave my 9yo son a good collection of Brian Jonestown Massacre, Leonard Cohen and Thelonius Monk. He lost his ipod shortly thereafter.

Mmmmmm! I'm now loading it up, with what a charming young lady who recently visited described as "one third hard-core country, one third David Bowie and one third just plain weird stuff". Which is pretty accurate.

2 comments:

T said...

I will have to track down 'Fistful of Love' !!!!

SleepingMan said...

It's a great song. It's about how love makes people deluded, and how we end up clinging to things that we maybe shouldn't. It's also about a gay S&M relationship. The album won the Mercury Prize a couple of years ago and there was a bit of a kerfuffle because although Anthony was born in the UK he's really very american.
The voice you hear at the start of the track is Lou Reed, by the way.