Monday, February 11, 2008

Edgewater



This is a building in Melbourne, on the beach in St Kilda near Luna Park. I've always found it very evocative - even 25 years ago it still had the same feel to it of faded 60s glamour. Melbourne doesn't really have a beachy thing about it at all, nor for that matter a high-rise feel, so this building and others like it along the beach seem like they've managed to escape from Melbourne in some fantastic way, and I always imagined they'd be full of people who led interesting and possibly debauched lives. Doomed novelists, sensitive women poets, larger-than-life cabaret artistes, that sort of thing. Over the years I've had friends who've lived in pretty much every building in St Kilda but noone had ever lived in there, which added to its mystique. For me, anyway. I did once manage to get in, when I was looking for a flat. (Buy or rent? I can't remember.) It was scuzzy on the inside but not in quite the same agreeable way, and the only people I saw were clueless surfers (why so far from the surf beaches?).

No comments: