Wednesday, March 25, 2009

If finally happened...!

At last, after 30-odd years, it happened. Let me explain...

I was at the supermarket on Monday, the Coles in Kings Cross. And only because the Wollies in Potts Point was closed in the morning for renovations. I gathered my items, dithered a bit, and then went to the checkout. The woman at the checkout, I noticed as she started scanning my stuff, had a nametag on her breast that said "Pat". I nearly had to be stretchered out, and even now, a couple of days later I get the giggles just thinking about it.

(For those who don't know, there's a Benny Hill sketch along these exact lines. He looks at the nametag, pauses, then looks at the camera. That's it. When I first met A our shared love for this sketch, its economy and perfection, was a powerful bond.)

1 comment:

Fran Carleton said...

It is a classic comedy stetch. One that has been ripped off many times but is still funny EVERY time ;-)

Even better when it staring at you across baked beans, bread and cheese.