Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hard Rock Letterbox

I saw this on a letterbox outside a terrace house in Surry Hills yesterday afternoon:

NO JUNK MAIL
PRETTY PLEASE
WITH A CHERRY ON TOP

Of course this annoys me, as most things do. (As an aside, I was recently in an airport departure lounge with my sons and I was pointing out things that annoyed me about the other passengers and my older son remarked that it would be quite a lot quicker for me to find the handful of people who didn't annoy me and just point them out instead.)

So back to this letterbox. Whoever lives in this house doesn't want junk mail, clearly. So far so good. But instead of a sticker that says sternly "No Junk Mail", they've gone for this lighter, let's-try-to-make-a-joke-of-it-sticker. Why? I'm guessing that they thought the plain one was too harsh, too negative, too judgmental. Too heavy.

It's like that loathsome sign they have in all the Hard Rock Cafes, "No drugs or nuclear weapons allowed inside". Which really just means no drugs allowed inside, but rather than just saying that and letting it be they had to make it sound a bit more whimsical. I doubt very much, though, that if you were caught with drugs in a HRC a defense along the lines of "the sign's clearly not meant to be taken seriously" would do a lot of good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh your son is so astute! Anyway, this letterbox sign does not annoy me. I would say, like most people with "no junk mail" stickers, the owner of this letterbox has worked out that NONE of the #$%^$%^ing fools delivering junk mail take the slightest notice and this begging sign might actually be more effective as long as it is novel.