Sunday, March 9, 2008

DJ895

There was a young man on the flight sitting next to me this evening who was wearing a baseball cap AND who called me 'bro', which normally would have set me off into my usual silent frenzy of disdain, but he was quite polite (and a south african) and I was just grateful to be on the flight, having realised halfway through the afternoon that I had, in fact, booked for the wrong day and was scheduled to fly tomorrow instead of today. Which then cost me to more to change than it had cost to buy the ticket in the first place. I consoled myself by buying a can of diet coke for $2.50 which, when you think about it, is actually a pretty good price. In midair.

All other things being equal, I tend to fly Virgin Blue rather than Qantas for a couple of reasons: 1) DJ have a slightly better on-time departure and arrival record than QF, 2) I do like that thing where you can board and disembark using the rear stairs, which involves walking along the tarmac and seeing all the planes up close, which in turn appeals to my inner 9 year-old and has a vague Beatles-at-Idlewild thing going, and 3) Qantas is Telstra-with-wings in some respects.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting, you VERY rarely get rear stairs on MEL-SYD sectors... ;)

SleepingMan said...

I completely disagree. Except when it's raining I don't I've ever not had rear stairs. But you ended your comment with a ';)' so maybe I'm missing some innuendo.