Friday, March 7, 2008

Busted

In Melbourne this morning, I crossed Spencer Street against the lights, on foot (of course). There was a break in traffic and I went half-way across, as one does, and waited for another break in traffic to go all the way across. I was thinking at the time how very Melbourne-y it all was; trams, slate-grey sky, a bit of wind and rain, agreeably chilly and whatnot. The light changed, I continued crossing the road.

As I got to the other side a policeman approached me with an 'excuse me'. I wasn't anxious or upset, I quite welcomed the interruption. The last encounter I'd had with cops had been at a very convivial barbeque where there was a lot of discussion about various LACs and PQDs (or PDQ? Pretty Damn Quick?).

He said that I'd crossed against the lights, but that it was good that I hadn't in fact crossed all the way, and that I'd waited for the lights to continue my crossing (which was only because there were cars galore). I tried to look contrite. He told me I'd get away with a warning, and that I should watch out if I'm in the city around Grand Prix time, as they were planning on having a blitz on jaywalking. He was friendly, almost apologetic so I tried to make it as easy for both of us as possible. He then asked for my name and address (maybe he was a bit like the cops at Tony's bbq after all? I can never tell) which I gave, and while it ocurred to me at the time that I could just make up something "John W Howard, Wollstoncraft"). I was also wondering whether I really did have to give my details at all but I figured I wasn't really in a position to make a big deal of it, and he was quite polite about the whole thing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Jay-walking was a thing of myth and legend...or maybe a late night comedy slot were the host shows the world just how dumb most Americans really are!

SleepingMan said...

Oi... my sons are Americans. Watch it!

T said...

There was a discourse on Squirt a while back that, in NSW anyway, unless you are being 'charged' you are not obligated to give your name and address.

Anonymous said...

Has the cop come a-knocking? Maybe he wanted it for a personal favour! Fx

SleepingMan said...

I don't think he was like the cops at that BBQ i went to a couple weeks ago....