Tuesday, January 23, 2007

la Hutton (again) , John Howard

Back on deck after a pleasant spell in Melbourne. For reasons that are waaay too complicated to go into here, I was at one point reading a women's magazine, and stumbled across a column called 'Deb's Diary', hidden among the usual ads for psychics, columns about gardening and astrology (and, amazingly enough, one about gardening with astrology). Faithful readers will know I have a bit of a thing for Ms Hutton, but not in a nasty stalkerish way. The current inflight welcoming video on Qantas has her cavorting with animatronic dinosaurs, and it works for me on many levels. Anyway, in her column she was talking about her beach house (as far as I can recall) and how relaxed and comfy it was. She then spruiked some skin-care products, but I appreciate that everyone has to make a living and I can certainly think of worse ways.

Speaking of women's magazines, I saw one recently (NW?) that had a big splash on the cover "Angelina Jolie: I am not a nutcase". Which is of course exactly what a nutcase would say - and she is, in the words of my friend E, a 'psycho hose-beast'.

There's something strange about the way our Prime Minister speaks. Tonight on the news, for example, I heard him pronounce 'because' as 'be coarse'. I've certainly heard people pronounce it as though it's still the two words 'be' and 'cause' just mashed together, but never in quite the way Mr Howard does.

No comments: