Thursday, October 8, 2009

Cleaner

I did some cleaning yesterday. I vacuumed and then mopped the floors. It had been a while and we'd had a dust storm a couple of weeks ago and all the floors were covered in a thin layer of red dust. This didn't trouble me much at the time, but when I came back after being away for a week I noticed it.

So I vacuumed. Then mopped the floors.. bathroom, living room, kitchen. And then, after all that, I found myself standing in the door of my bedroom and I started thinking that maybe I wouldn't mop the floor in there just then(floors here hardwood, just to clarify.). Maybe another time, I found myself thinking. A better time.

Another time? A better time? I caught myself thinking this and had to have a stern word with myself. What would be a better time to mop the floor? What would that look like? I was, after all, standing in the door of the bedroom with in one hand a bucket of hot water with floor cleaning crap in it, and in the other hand a mop and I had the crushing realisation that there just wasn't going to be a better time. And that the only possible reason for not mopping the floor right then and there was if I had a massive coronary, or the earth was hit by an asteroid or something.

It only took a couple of minutes.

2 comments:

user garnerda said...

Great blog James...and so true.

Anonymous said...

That is how my mother feels about bank statements. Consequently she has piles of them going back to 1987. Congratulations on dealing with your procrastination before it lead to soil and even subsoil formation. Old age, it makes mid-life crises look good....