Sunday, June 7, 2009

Remix

At the gym I go to they play a lot of music which is remixed and updated versions of 80s songs. At first I thought that what this meant was that all popular music these days is just remixed versions of old songs (which span me off into a "kids these days.. so unoriginal" bender), but then I realised that the gym's a controlled environment, and that a remixed 80s song allows them to cater for a wider age range. People like me recognise the original, the younger crowd like the remix sound. Everyone's a winner, right?

They were playing a remixed version of "Another Brick in the Wall", that loathsome Pink Floyd song, which actually sounds even worse than it did back in 1979. And what struck me is that among the things the song rails against (education, thought control, whatever) is.."dark sarcasm in the classroom". Dark sarcasm? My heart bleeds.

No comments: