Friday, August 1, 2008

I hate myself for this (and you will too)


I was at the gym the other morning, and as always at the gym I wasn't looking very fabulous. Scuzzy shorts and tshirt, I'm not really a gym-bunny. I got on one of the elliptical trainer machines and started off. It asks you what sort of program you want, how long for, your age and your weight. I'm used to all that.

On the machine next to me was a young woman in her mid-30s (to me that's young. Maybe not to you. I have a larger range now). I noticed her out of the corner of my eye. Picking up someone at the gym is the last thing on my mind, I wouldn't even know how to start. I'm not there to impress anyone, I strictly mind my own business. But as I was starting up this elliptical trainer, inputting what sort of routine I wanted, how long I wanted it for, I found myself hesitating when it asked me my age. And I did it. I lied to the machine. And as I did it I knew (there was a sinking feeling deep down in my soul) that I was doing it because of her. Aaaargh...

No comments: