Saturday, June 7, 2008

Seatbelts

I was on a morning flight again yesterday, Sydney to Melbourne (which someone told me the other day is the 3rd most heavily trafficked air route in the world, presumably after NY-Boston and NY-Washington). Nothing eventful except that it was 45 minutes late taking off, which I didn't care about too much as I had plenty to read and I didn't have anything super-urgent to do at the other end.

After you land, and the plane's taxiiing in, and well before the fasten seatbelts light has gone off, people start to surreptitiously unbuckle their seatbelts. There's an art to doing it silently, but once people have unbuckled they still just sit there, usually with the seatbelt still in their lap, the two ends sitting there unjoined. I'm guessing this is so you get the thrill of being bad, you can, for a few seconds enjoy the idea that you're the sort of person who makes their own rules. I of course don't do this; I love following directions especially on aircraft. And at some level I think it's a sign of people who don't fly much.

No comments: