Thursday, May 29, 2008

Worldview

Sometimes I find myself thinking that I should get a nicer place to live. My flat - and I know one or two people who read this have been in it, so I'll try to stick to the truth - is very much a bachelor pad. The walls are bare, with just a few recriminatory picture hooks. The kitchen is.. well, really just an alcove off the living room. As an aside, I realised the other day that I didn't have an oven. But what was fun about this was that it's taken me 18 months to realise it. And that was only because I had a houseguest who asked me whether I had an oven. I told her that I was pretty sure I did, then started looking for it.

On the other hand, it's got great light and it's in a fabulous location:

View Larger Map

Of course if I did live in a nicer place I'd be able to impress people with what a swell apartment I had. But this troubles me a little - do I want to impress people who are impressed by that? Should I buy a nice car? What next? I console myself with the thought I'm better off with people who are impressed with the grandeur and complexity of my worldview.

3 comments:

T said...

yes I have a mate - the only time in 2 years he used the cook top / oven was to light a visitor's cigarette.

Anonymous said...

The only thing that matters is whether you feel at home in your place. Yes, your place is in a lovely location. Actually, it isn't really lovely, but it is very cosmopolitan. It also caters to your varied tastes quite nicely. Just remember... if you have to tell people that you're powerful, or that you're a lady...you aren't. We love that one.

P.S You could consider getting curtains or shutters in the bedroom, it is way to bright in there.

SleepingMan said...

There ARE blinds in the bedroom, but I usually have them open so that I can see the tops of the trees in the park when I'm lying down.