Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Transport and archaic language..?


Back to this idea about the use of archaic and not-tremendously-understandable language on public transport. I was on a Sydney ferry on the weekend (no, I didn't go to the North Shore, calm down!) and I noticed this sign... Does anyone actually use the word don anymore?

On a similar note, I notice at Sydney and Melbourne airports, when they make the announcements it's always something like 'Qantas flight 409 to Melbourne is boarding, would passengers please proceed to gate 10'. Proceed? Is the word 'go' not fancy enough for an airport?

But I think the biggest riddle of airports - especially international airports - is those announcements you get. "Urgent page for passengers Smith and Brown. Your aircraft is boarded and ready for departure. Please proceed to gate 10 immediately as your aircraft is about to depart". Which means that the passengers in question have checked in, gone thru the immigration kerfuffle and are... well... I don't know. Have they forgotten they're supposed to be flying? Busy shopping? I travel a lot, and this is waaay more common that you'd expect.

No comments: